Monday 31 March 2014

Interview with the designer at Daintylou



 What is your favorite type of design?

I wouldn’t necessarily say I have a favourite type of design. My design handwriting for daintylou is to keep it simple but focuses on attention to detail and quality. Prints and simple blocks of colour are shown in daintylou’s products from season to season.
What designers inspire you?
High- end catwalk designers I like to look at-
-Fendi, Victoria Beckham, Antonio Berardi and Holly fulton
High Street Influences-
-Ted Baker, PepperMayo, zara and Topshop

How did you start off your career as a Designer/Artist?
I graduated in fashion design at Northumbria University. After working with designer Michelle Taylor on my placement year and also working with clothing in my retail job I knew that I wanted to start my own company in design. My best friend and I wanted to go into business together creating and selling prints to fashion and textile companies. But after sadly loosing my best friend to cancer I had to go it alone, but I feel it has made me work harder to keep her memory and design handwriting alive. I began by making dance costumes for free style dancers and that led to people asking me to make general clothing items. From there I made one off items and found that the item’s began to sell really well so I launched my own website. From there I began contacted fashion boutiques to launch my products in, which has also been successful at the moment I am looking for a commercial shop to launch my brand in.


What are the best parts about your job?
I think if you do a job that you enjoy it doesn’t feel like work, therefore you ultimately work harder at your job. Also it is always a lovely feeling when you see someone wearing or a shop stocking your design.


What is the most difficult part about your job?
It is a lot of hard work and long hours but if you want to achieve high then you have to work hard to achieve your dreams.

Did you always want to be a Designer/Artist?
Yes, since I was young I always designed clothes and made cushions etc.

Who is your main target audience?
The high end part of the high street I like to keep my item’s affordable but I also have to charge a reasonable price as all my design’s are limited, unique item’s

If you could give me any advice on perusing this career what would it be?
You have to know if it is really for you because with design it can not pay a lot and be expensive to fund fabrics etc. even when at college at university. But I always think if it is what you want to do, do it and do it well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your order! love daintylou xox